Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Peer Review Question


Question:


1.)    When setting up a fungal pathogen control program, which of the following is the most important to consider to ensure maximum efficacy of the program?

a.       Time of growing season

b.      Stage of epidemic

c.       Economic impact

d.      Pathogen

Once students have answered they will have time to discuss their answers in small groups and the question will be posed again.  Students will then be shown the answer distribution from both questions and in class discussion will follow. 

Discussion:

The purpose of this question is to stimulate discussion and gain knowledge about where student perceptions lie.  Because all answers are correct the data collected will show the relative importance of each subject/option to the student voting giving the instructor information about class interest and concept knowledge.

Suggestions:

After peer review I felt comfortable with my question, instead I changed my apporach.  Paula suggested I allow time for small group discussion then reintroduce the question and compare the distributions of both answers.  Her idea fits well with the direction I was going with the question and adds an additional levels of student discussion and data collection, which are very beneficial.

1 comment:

  1. I liked how you addressed that you would show the answer distribution. I think there is benefit in showing how the entire class did or in this case, what the entire class thought. From that distribution, a student can see how the rest of the class prioritizes these concepts. I also agree that it could spark some quality conversation. If there was a single "correct" answer, a student who found the question especially difficult or foreign would be able to see that the rest of the class may/may not have had as much trouble as they did. I think it's another opportunity for feedback to that student.

    ReplyDelete